Sanskrit Name :- Kutaj, Girimallika, Vatsak
Hindi Name :- Kuda, Kudaiya, Vrishak
English Name :- Kurchi
Bengali Name :- Kurchi
Marathi Name :- Kudo
PLANT DESCRIPTION (Botanical Identification) :- A glabrous or pubescent tree or large shrub. Leaves neary sessile, ovate-oblong, acute. Flowers white, in terminal, corymbose cymes. Follicles glabrous, slender, teret, 20-37 cm long, distinct from the base, usually curved and touching at the tips. Seeds numerous, crowned and touching at the tips.Seeds numerous, crowned with a tuft of long, silky hairs.
Stem Bark : Dried bark occurs in form of small recurved pieces of varying sizes and thickness;outer surface buff to brownish, longitudinally wrinkled and bearing horizontal lenticels; inner surface brownish, rough and scaly. Fracture is short and granular; taste acrid and bitter.Transverse section of dried stem bark shows cork consisting of 4-12 rows of tangentially elongated cells, followed by cork cambium of a single row of thin walled tangentially elongated cells.
PART? USED?????????? :- LEAF, SEED, LEAF
DOSAGE?????? ??????????? :- 20 – 30 gm, Churna 3 – 6 gm
Foreign matter 2 %, Total ash 7 %, Acid insoluble ash 1 %, Alcohol (60 %) soluble extractive 18 %,Water soluble extractive 10 %
Antitubercular?? |??? Hypotensive?? |?? Antiprotozoal?? |?? Hypoglycaemic??? |
Antispasmodic?? |??? Antigiardiastic??? |????? Antifungal???? |?? Antiamoeebiciadal |
Antidiarrhoeal?? |??? Anticancer
Kutajghan vati??? |????? Maha panchgavya ghrita?????????????? |
Patoladi ghrita???????? |???? Piyushvalli rasa?? |?????????? Sudarshan churna
- Kutaja herb is very useful for the treatment of dysentery caused due to amoeba.
- It has ability to treat skin diseases like scabies, ringworm, itching and other infections.
- The seeds of this plant promote conception. Along with this these are used for toning up vaginal tissue after delivery in women.
- It is very suitable remedy for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- This herb is a wonderful rejuvenating agent and also boosts the immune system of the body.
- Kutaja is useful remedy for the treatment of bleeding piles by keeping a check on the secretions of mucus and blood.
- A good herbal remedy in case of colic.
- It is also good to be used for mal-absorption.
- Very useful in treatment of urinary tract infection.
- Suitable and effective for disorder in the digestive system resulting vomiting.
- It is also used for children to kill worms in intestines since ancient days.
- Extract from the stem and bark benefits positively in mouth ulcer and also treats an oral infection.
- The Bhavprakash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary by Padmashri prof. K.C. Chunekar, edited by Dr. G.S. Pandey: edition of 1998 verse 116-117, page no-346-349.